Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (E3 Prototype)
From Hidden Palace
|Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (E3 Prototype)|
|Download Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (E3 Prototype) (info)|
A version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night which is based off the final Japanese version. It is mid-translation and as such it has many textual differences. The proto was put together for the E3 of 1997.
The Cutting Room Floor research
- Konami logo is same as the Japanese version.
- Title logo has "-E3 Version-" printed directly under the title.
- Gameplay has "-E3 Version-" posted on the top right corner during gameplay.
- Unformatted memory card string not displayed properly. The button mapping is also different.
- The logo during the loading screen is slightly larger.
- Graphical text such as location names and elevator activated message are the same as the Japanese version.
- Voice acting is still Japanese.
- Game Over image has a "To be continued" screen instead.
- Kill count on main menu is labeled "BEAT" like the Japanese version. In accessible menu options are not darkened, unlike any version.
- Japanese text denotes when a direction needs to be held in the special moves list. The final version replaces the text with a red arrow instead.
- The lining and exterior strings are accidently in the cloak color menu.
- The ghost priest still speaks Japanese dialogue.
- Time attack and Master Librarian's sound test are never unlocked.
- After pressing start at the title screen, a selection screen which allows normal or special starts appears. Special starts the player at the catacombs at level 1 with 200 HP. The player also starts with some equipment available and also some Relics. It is not possible to exit back to the Abandoned mine. The only way out is via library card. A library can be found past the dark room with spikes.
- The switch for making the skeleton ape appear near the wooden bridge in the Underground Caverns is missing.
- After defeating the Werewolf and Minotarus in the collosseum, a game over is triggered.
- This versions saves are compatible with the Japanese version.
- Item and Relic placements are the same as the Japanese version.
- Intro text is based off Japanese version, with minor adjustments such as changing Ralph C. Belmont to Trevor Belmont.
- The Master Librarian dialogue has a typo.
- Ferrymans name is written in question marks.
- No text is displayed during the second conversation between Alucard and Maria in Royal Chapel. The names and portraits change, but are not synced up with the spoken dialogue.
- Items named Drug were changed to potion.
- Several other items have different names or descriptions.
- The librarian menu has text changes, including a free talk option. This option had various actor interviews in the Japanese version. Enemy list also has different text.
- The credits still refer to the game as Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight.