ICEknight
Topic Author

Revenge of Shinobi/The Super Shinobi prototype found

27 Oct 2009, 03:09

Turns out one of the Sega Smash Pack for PC inadvertently included a beta version of The Revenge of Shinobi... Not even hidden, but selectable as if it was the final game!

Mirrored from Sonic Retro:
MarzSyndrome wrote:
Decided to try one of the old Smash Packs from the late 90's for shits and giggles. The first one to be precise.

Thought I'd give one of my faves - Revenge of Shinobi - another go, even though I've beaten it to death like infinity times.

Except curiously - despite this being a US-originated product - it's going by the name of The Super Shinobi for today.

Cue the Sega logo. Dum de dum.

Then almost immediately, the intro plays (no copyright screen).... but with the music from Level 1. Erm?

Press Start to get to the menu.

Hang about, what are those funny numbers in the corner? Do I smell........ LEVEL SELECT?

Check the options.

Almost straight away, I notice a new option - No Death. It appears to make you totally invincible. No kidding.

Start Level 1. It plays music from one of the later levels. What. The. Fuck?

Folks, I'm starting to suspect that whoever compiled this compilation back in late '98/early '99 seemingly wasn't smart enough to notice they were bundling what appears to be some kind of beta version of a classic Sega title into their set. I know Steve Snake provided the emulator, but did he choose the games as well, or was that someone else's job?
GerbilSoft wrote:
Found the image in memory. Extracting...

EDIT: The MEMO section of the ROM header says "A0115 Sega Channel". Maybe this is a Sega Channel-specific ROM?
GerbilSoft wrote:

Even more strange, since the SEGA Channel didn't exist back when Revenge of Shinobi was being developed.

This is not the first time a previously undumped ROM has been found inside a SEGA collection (Ristar version 00 comes to mind), by the way.

Kiddo

27 Oct 2009, 17:16

Um...

any of the other games obvious protos? :D;;

evilhamwizard

27 Oct 2009, 18:07

I don't think it's a prototype for some reason.

Has anyone checked to see if the original things later revisions changed are still there? I'm not a gigantic fan of the game so I don't know what to look for...

ICEknight
Topic Author

28 Oct 2009, 02:16

evilhamwizard wrote:
Well, it has no copyright screens, lacks the overseas title screen and the story demo, some music is either missing or unfinished, level select is on by default, and there's even some Engrish thrown in there, so yes, it's a prototype.

man_traic

28 Oct 2009, 23:53

ICEknight wrote:
evilhamwizard wrote:
Well, it has no copyright screens, lacks the overseas title screen and the story demo, some music is either missing or unfinished, level select is on by default, and there's even some Engrish thrown in there, so yes, it's a prototype.

Woah!!! Nice find - looks like an 'almost finished' - the musics incomplete but almost everything else is
Always wanted a ROS Beta

Ryo Suzuki

08 Nov 2009, 10:14

Unbelievable!! Very nice find.

In the shoddy SEGA way xD

evilhamwizard

08 Nov 2009, 10:31

Pretty weird.

As I said @ Retro, there's a brand new revision of Golden Axe (for U only - Revision 02) as well as a Sega Channel build for Super Hang-On.

Neat stuff.

drx - investigate!

Jorge Nuno

22 Dec 2009, 04:12

A lot of music is missing, and the present ones have missing and different notes. They don't have any names in the sound test. The infinite Shurikens cheat works (it's typed Syurikens)

The powerup pickup sound is weird

Ikazuchi has a different casting method, and shinobi keeps flashing instead of being surrounded by rays

There are no secret powerups (It seems), and generally less enemies per level. There is usually 1 extra live throughout each level.

The first boss swings his katana twice instead of once, and his death explosion is different.

The waterfalls level has 2 falling logs instead of 1, and in the final part of the level they're 3 instead of 4.

The disco boss seems to be the same.

The brain boss in the aircraft is not implemented

In the "fence" level :P you can't stand on the pillars

The terminator from the junkyard explodes when killed, instead of walking towards you and exploding.

In chinatown the sky is not so dark.

The train tunnel has different transversal blocks

Spiderman morphs into black batman instead of a nude batmonster when suffers enough damage.

The T-Rex had somekind polar bear hair, and the battle was almost an instant win. It spits fire rather than blue energy balls.

The labyrinth is missing enemies and item boxes. The camera is all fucked up.

(I don't remember how to exit)

ICEknight
Topic Author

22 Dec 2009, 04:18

Jorge Nuno wrote:
Spiderman morphs into black batman instead of a nude batmonster when suffers enough damage.
That's just like in version 00.

The T-Rex had somekind polar bear hair, and the battle was almost an instant win. It spits fire rather than blue energy balls.
Hmm, what version are you comparing this with?

Jorge Nuno

22 Dec 2009, 04:33

Opps my bad.

I guess I have REV1+ or something. It's the version contained in the mega games 3 cart

EDIT: There is no BG in the armoured car boss.

Li Wang

20 Mar 2010, 20:53

I can confirm that this rom appeared on the Sega Channel. I always wondered what was up with it and if the regular Japanese release was like this whenever I downloaded the game back in the day.