MathUser
Topic Author

Make modern the default wiki skin

17 Nov 2016, 08:48

I find the wikipedia like loook of the wiki to be a bit boring. I tried all the skins and modern is the best looking one. Would you guys possibly consider making it the default skin? If so would it affect current users? Or would everyone have to change it themeselves?

drx

Re: Make modern the default wiki skin

17 Nov 2016, 12:02

We considered it, but for now it's not a big priority. Yes, the default look is boring, but changing it is a huge undertaking. MediaWiki code is intertwined with the way it looks and there are a ton of gotchas here and there that would require a lot of work to iron out. 

Other skins might looks alright on the surfaces, but there are a lot of edge cases where they don't handle something fully, and things will break on updates, etc. Not really worth the effort at the moment.

But something that might make more sense would be adapting the default skin to something that looks better.

MathUser
Topic Author

Re: Make modern the default wiki skin

17 Nov 2016, 20:37

yeah, that'd be good too. I don't have any complaints about tcrf's wiki, so maybe something like that. It keeps the edit tab out in the open, which is important to encourage people to register and edit. I'd also suggest a dark theme for the forum.