MathUser
Topic Author

Protos found in Magazines (mostly 1993)

21 Sep 2008, 13:25

I've been downloading some old magazine scans lately and found a few pages pertaining to some unreleased games, and some early pictures of games. Here are some of them below. These are all from magazines from the year 1993.

Sound Factory is a cancelled game. I think it was developed to be the killer ap for the SNES mouse but Mario Paint wound up being that. It's some music game that uses the mouse.

Another Sound Factory scan.

I don't know how different this is from final, but the names for characters are different.

Before it's cancelation Pit Fighter 2 had a small preview article in EGM.

I'm not sure if any of these photos are different than final since I never played it, but here's the scan, just in case.

I think this is Monster World 4, and the HUD looks a bit different I think.

I think I've seen this page floating around the net before, but here it is again anyway. A few of the graphics look different. Especially in the cutscenes.

Dirt Racers is a FX game by Elite which I believe was never released.

Dune Buggies, it could possibly be Dirt Racers.

Peter pan for 3do was based on the disney version.

Impossible Mission 2025 was released, but this SNES conversion never was.

Socks the cat, a cancelled game star Bill Clintons former cat.

A socks the cat advertisment. This game recieved a lot of advertising as I've seen ads in more than one magazine over the course of a few months.

Early N64 preview with very un N64 graphics. N64 graphics have never looked this sharp.

A article about the Sega CD game genie. It was supposed to fit between the genesis and sega cd on model 2.

There was originally gonna be 8 new characters in Super Street fighter but it was cut to 4 due to SNK hiring away several of Capcoms staff.

This proto NES2 controllers looks half generic, half nice.

This one handed SNES controller was branded as a RPG controller I think before it was cancelled. I think I pre-ordered one. I was real dissapointed that it didn't come out because I was really anticipating it.

Early in its life Square branded SOM as Final Fantasy Adventure 2. Other than the name only the HUD seems to be different. Though that doesn't show much, probably due to me using photobucket as a host. The numbers showing the current health are missing but the max health is there. I also think that npc is not in the final game.

Probably everyone that read game magazines during the Genesis era knew about Sega VR. I believe all 4 of the games listed for it were cancelled.

Another article about Sega VR, this time getting delayed until June 1994. If we ever found protos of those games we might not even be able to play them for a while as they were supposed to use some new chip to increase screen resolution. Also note Top Gun 2 which was meant to begin filming after Interview with the vampire. I'm glad that was cancelled.

Tiny Toons for Jaguar. It looks boring, maybe that's why it was cancelled.

This very generic level in the GB version of Mortal Kombat was not in final I believe.
Steven Segal, the proto for this is easy to find on the internet.
Last edited by MathUser on 29 Jul 2016, 11:13, edited 6 times in total.

drx

21 Sep 2008, 14:30

Cool stuff, thanks for taking the time.

I wonder if anyone has Socks for Megadrive. I know someone has the SNES version.

Looking forward to more scans!

BMF54123

Re: Protos found in Magazines (1993)

21 Sep 2008, 19:04

MathUser wrote:
Space Ace for the SNES was ultimately cancelled.
Space Ace

No, it wasn't.

MathUser
Topic Author

21 Sep 2008, 19:09

sorry about that, I edited the post.

MathUser
Topic Author

23 Sep 2008, 13:19

Well, I just found this, early images of Mortal Kombat for genesis. The color pallette is weird, part because of how the pics were created. But the color of the warrior shrine level seems more brownish to me. Also the energy bars are brownish. The title screen is very SNES like with a "exhibition" option. I have no idea what that could be. Perhaps a endurance round type match. Or a battle ladder like UMK3.

MathUser
Topic Author

24 Sep 2008, 07:58

A couple more scans.

Not much mentioned here other than Leisure Suit Larry for Mega CD. Text only.

Dragons lair 2 are announced for Mega CD.

Dolphin (Echo), Leisure Suit Larry (with pic), Pit Fighter 2, Rad Mobile,  Super SOnic (Sonic CD), and more announced. I think Mega really jumps the gun when announcing new titles. Or there is alot of cancelled ports.
Last edited by MathUser on 29 Jul 2016, 11:14, edited 2 times in total.

Hexagon

25 Sep 2008, 10:02

Very interesting stuff guys !

I must have some Sega-related articles in old magazines too, I'll maybe scan some (if I find them...)

billscat-socks

25 Sep 2008, 17:04

Speaking of Socks the Cat, is there any chance you'll ever buy that game and do another fundraiser for it? ATM It's the one game I can think of that is actually unreleased that I've seen you mention is possible to get(Fighting Force doesn't count for me as it was already released on other systems =p).

I just wanna see Bill's cat in a game. I can only imagine the Clinton sprites that one could get from it :D

drx

26 Sep 2008, 11:57

billscat-socks wrote:
Speaking of Socks the Cat, is there any chance you'll ever buy that game and do another fundraiser for it? ATM It's the one game I can think of that is actually unreleased that I've seen you mention is possible to get(Fighting Force doesn't count for me as it was already released on other systems =p).

I just wanna see Bill's cat in a game. I can only imagine the Clinton sprites that one could get from it :D

Jason Wilson has a copy for SNES, but he's hesitant to dump it. I don't know if he'd sell it, he usually sells stuff for a high premium. That would be a bit too much for a release though, I think.

I can get many more unreleased games though, I own one for Dreamcast at the moment that I plan to release in the near future (like Fighting Force).

I should make a list of what I can get, sometime.

MathUser
Topic Author

01 Oct 2008, 11:19

This is the Magazine scan I was showing off the other day. It's a early links awakening. Some of the graphics look quite different.

MathUser
Topic Author

07 Oct 2008, 12:59

Since drx liked the bit about Ecco originally being called "Dolphin" here is another scan, but this is dated 1992.

I also found this Super Mario Kart scan. I dont recognize the level design at all.

Last edited by MathUser on 29 Jul 2016, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

Madou

14 Oct 2008, 15:58

MathUser wrote:
I also found this Super Mario Kart scan. I dont recognize the level design at all.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr19 ... sue20_.jpg

You are wright! This track is probably an early version of the Mushroom Cup Round 2. Most of the track is the same (the upper part with the bridge). But you are wright, this was a prototype track that was mdified in the final version.

You can compare it to all the maps :

http://www.snesmaps.com/maps/SuperMario ... elect.html

MathUser
Topic Author

15 Oct 2008, 18:22

Then this is some section where they talk about lots of upcoming stuff. They speculate about Street Fighter 3. Talk about Super Hero racing, which I think became Stunt Race FX. It's also got misinformation, like Super Return of the Jedi set to use the FX chip.

Last edited by MathUser on 29 Jul 2016, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Garrett

05 Nov 2008, 22:58

Here's another scan of Link's Awakening, this one's from Nintendo Power (the October 1993 issue, as far as I know).

Despite being a "70% complete version", the map screen is totally different (quite reminiscent of A Link to the Past in fact).

man_traic

06 Nov 2008, 16:14

drx wrote:
billscat-socks wrote:

Jason Wilson has a copy for SNES, but he's hesitant to dump it. I don't know if he'd sell it, he usually sells stuff for a high premium. That would be a bit too much for a release though, I think.

I can get many more unreleased games though, I own one for Dreamcast at the moment that I plan to release in the near future (like Fighting Force).

Jason should do it for free when barack takes office in Jan - a democrat-affiliated game on the day a Democrat President enters the White House ;)

billscat-socks

07 Nov 2008, 13:08

man_traic wrote:
drx wrote:
billscat-socks wrote:

Jason should do it for free when barack takes office in Jan - a democrat-affiliated game on the day a Democrat President enters the White House ;)

In support of this, I have designed something in the spirit of democracy and the peoples opinion that this game should be released:

The image won't appear for whatever reason, but you know how to copy..

Garrett

07 Nov 2008, 15:02

The image won't display because you've used the URL of the image page rather than that of the image itself, like this:

You can achieve this by right-clicking on an image and choosing Copy Image Location (or similar). This will give you the true, direct source of an image without any ad-filled interim nonsense.

billscat-socks

07 Nov 2008, 23:42

Ah, I see. I didn't bother to double check what I was linking to :p

MathUser
Topic Author

15 Sep 2009, 15:31

Ok, this is from 1992 and not 1993 but I didn't want to start a new topic.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7876 ... aug048.jpg

It shows ninja gaiden 4 for the genesis. The proto that is out there leaves out the 4 I think. This may be totally different from the proto that is out there as I remember it was a side scroling fighter and this looks like an action game.

MathUser
Topic Author

19 Sep 2009, 17:22

Well, i just saw this scan, 1992 magazine. I didn't get very far in the game, but I think that checkerboard stage in Battletoads Battlemaniac does not take place on foot. They are on a sliding checkerpiece.