Difference between revisions of "Crash Bandicoot: Warped (Aug 14, 1998 prototype)"
|Line 59:||Line 59:|
Latest revision as of 06:14, August 12, 2021
|Crash Bandicoot: Warped (Aug 14, 1998 prototype)|
|Download Crash Bandicoot: Warped (Aug 14, 1998 prototype) (info)|
A NTSC-U preview of Crash Bandicoot: Warped for the Sony PlayStation, dated close to two months before the final build.
Originally released anonymously, the initial dump that emerged online was missing much of the usual non-file metadata that the disc is supposed to have, such as file modification dates. A corrected dump was handed to Hwd45 to release in July 2021.
This version requires a dongle to avoid it being used on standard consoles. Alternatively, you can patch the disc image file using an xdelta patch.
- The title screen has a black background.
- The vortex cutscene area, intro cutscene and outro cutscenes are all missing.
- A music track not used in the final version of the game plays at various areas in this build, including as the theme for the Warp Room, as well as being assigned to various levels which the music seemingly wasn't composed for yet.
- The load/save screen doesn't have the load/save text imprinted on it, and has a much more basic design, with a blue border around it. Coco also stands in place on the right side of the screen.
- A lot of elements present in this build are incomplete and use placeholders lifted from the previous game, like Crash's idle animations, crystal and gem particle effects and sounds, game over screen, etc.
- The alternate entrances for level 7 and 19 exist in this build, but are still inaccessible without modding, as these two levels are still programmed to only have one entrance.
- Sapphire Relics are known as Silver Relics instead.
- The system behind the unlocking of the 6th Warp Room can be considered points-based, with Silver and Gold Relics being worth 1 point and Platinum Relics being worth 2 points. 25 points are required to unlock it.
- Some colored gems are in different levels.
- Breaking a time crate won't freeze the timer, it will take away the amount of time from the box. Breaking a time crate with external factors like TNT or Nitro explosions won't subtract any time.
- There are no specific music tracks for bonus rounds and alternate routes.
- Makin' Waves, Sphynxinator, and Flaming Passion are called "Aye Matey", "Sphynxter", and "Crash Kabob" respectively.
- N. Gin, Neo Cortex, Eggipus Rex and Ski Crazed are missing from this version.
- In some levels it's not possible to break all crates, making it impossible to collect gems from them.
- Gee Wiz's unreachable crates, in particular, are from an earlier version of its bonus stage, and hidden far outside the level.
- A cheat menu can be accessed by pressing Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Circle at the pause menu. You have access to four features, GET ALL, OPEN LEVELS, ALLOW CAM, and NO CHEATS. More information can be found in the TCRF article.
Thanks to SolidSnake11 for creating the dongle patch.