|Crash Team Racing (Sep 3, 1999 prototype)
||Sep 3, 1999
|File release date
||Please return to SCEA CTR 9/3|
Crash Team Racing Review Version NTSC
||Crash Team Racing
||JP Nov 11, 1999|
EU Oct 15, 1999
US Sep 26, 1999
||JP Dec 16, 1999|
EU Oct 20, 1999
US Oct 19, 1999
An NTSC-U review version of Crash Team Racing for the Sony PlayStation, dated around three weeks before the final build.
The Cutting Room Floor research
- Clancy Brown doesn't announce the publisher and developer identities.
- The introductory cutscene starts right after the Naughty Dog box screen.
- There are no character grunts or sound effects.
- Crash has bigger pupils and his eyes have a darker tone in the main menu.
- The character selection menu uses a small font.
- Crash Bandicoot, Tiny Tiger, Coco Bandicoot, and Polar have different icons.
- The loading screens lack the "Loading..." text.
- The start lights have a different design.
- The lap counter is separated by a hyphen.
- A different sound is heard when you get a power-up or 10 Wumpa fruits.
- There are no stats for any character in the character selection garage.
- Cortex uses a different model.
- It's impossible to skip Aku Aku/Uka Uka's hints during Adventure Mode.
- Some Warp Vortex are surrounded by a checkered pattern.
- There are no subtitles during Ripper Roo cutscenes.
- Papu Papu's hair is untextured in the cutscenes.
- Gold and Platinum relics are 10 and 15 seconds less than Sapphire times, respectively.
- Nitros Oxide starts using bombs only after the second lap.
- The max percentage you can reach in Adventure mode is 100%.
- Characters animations are frozen in the credits.
- Penta Penguin and Fake Crash have epilogues.
- Cheat code inputs are different and easier to activate.
- A lot of sound effects are missing or different.
The following codes are to be entered in the main menu. Penta Penguin and N. Tropy don't have a cheat code combination to unlock them.
|Play Spyro 2 Demo
||L1, R1, L1, R1, Left, Right, Left, Right, Square
||Up, Up, Down, Down, Square
|Unlock Ripper Roo
||Up, Down, Left, Right, Square
|Unlock Papu Papu
||Down, Up, Right, Left, Square
|Unlock Komodo Joe
||Left, Up, Right, Down, Square
||Right, Up, Left, Down, Square
|Unlock Fake Crash
||Right, Right, Down, Down, Square
A huge thanks to psx-collector for providing the original disc scans containing this build.