Frogger (July 31, 1997 NTSC prototype)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Frogger (July 31, 1997 NTSC prototype)|
|Download Frogger (July 31, 1997 NTSC prototype) (info)|
|Download Frogger (July 31, 1997 NTSC prototype) from external mirror|
A prototype of Frogger for the PSX. Build 20.
The Cutting Room Floor research
- This build was compiled 4 months and 16 days before the final US build.
- Build date and name upon bootup.
- The Millennium Interactive intro video plays here instead of the intro FMV used in near final builds.
- The frontend runs at 60FPS.
- The leaderboard names are in alphabetical order.
- Different logs.
- There's no menu music. (The menu music from near final builds goes unused in this build in the game's files.)
- No autodemos play in this build.
- Frogger uses the croaking sound from the PC Port.
- In order to unlock all levels, instead of pressing X on the main menu, press Triangle.
- The options menu has two island models in the background which was cut entirely from the final, and the camera angle is different.
- The music & sounds settings lacks the Music Note and "SFX" models from the final.
- The music settings plays the Airshow Antics music.
- The level select menu uses different icons and level names.
- Some level names have the placeholder text "NAMELESS"
- Idling for too long in the level select menu for more than 10 seconds will kick you back to the main menu.
- Frogger uses a different low-poly model in the input name screen and in the multiplayer mode.
- The baby frogs use their beta models.
- The purple baby frog from the final build is replaced with a yellow baby frog in this build.
- There are no golden frogs.
- The tongue sound effect is missing.
- Sometimes the levels can give you too much time. So collecting a baby frog can award you a bunch of points and lives.
- There's continuing in this build.
- Completing a zone can soft-lock the game with the Canopy Capers music playing in the background. (The music plays when using an emulator. It doesn't happen on real hardware.)
- In the input name screen, if you move down on the letter T, Frogger will glitch and teleport to the center of the screen and you can select a corrupted letter or character. (The lily pads will disappear indicating that it's a corrupted character.) And if you try to delete any characters or leave after selecting it, the game will crash.
- Pressing L1 + R1 at the same time enables debug movement.
- It is unknown what other debug functionality exists in this prototype.
Debug Movement Controls
- Use the D-Pad to move Frogger around. (If the camera moved, the D-Pad controls might be a bit confusing.)
- Press and hold X to levitate Frogger.
- Press and hold Square to lower Frogger.
Original release thread on Highway Frogs. (Archive)