Castlevania Bloodlines (Aug 4, 1993 prototype)
From Hidden Palace
|Castlevania Bloodlines (Aug 4, 1993 prototype)|
|Download Castlevania Bloodlines (Aug 4, 1993 prototype) (info)|
An early build of Castlevania Bloodlines for the Sega Mega Drive.
- This prototype was originally given to an electronics buyer for the retail chain KMart to bring home for his children to test play. Companies would send samples of their games to retail chains in the past so representatives could check if they want the product in their store.
- The build date of August 4, 1993 dates it at least 7 months before the first retail release date of March 1994 in Japan.
- Only the first two levels are playable before the game resets to the first stage.
- The Konami code presents a level select on the titlescreen that allows access to remnants of stage three, but most data besides the first two levels of the game have been deleted or were not being worked on yet.
- Your character walks slower than in the retail game.
- Collected items float up to the item bar in the HUD, much like in earlier Castlevania games.
- The mid-boss of the first stage is a more gruesome looking hound with eaten away flesh.
- Areas of the first stage have empty black backgrounds due to art not being implemented yet.
- The very early version of the second stage's mid boss shows up but no music plays. It can be skipped without fighting it.
- The medusa heads look different.