Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Simon Wai prototype)
From Hidden Palace
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Simon Wai prototype)|
|Download Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Simon Wai prototype) (info)|
A later prototype of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive.
The Cutting Room Floor research
- Also known as the "Simon Wai" prototype.
- Has been reported to be the build stolen from a Toy Fair in New York. However, earlier reports at the time state that the build of the game originated from a magazine. Certain magazines have showcased similar builds at least one month before the final release (given the corrupt stage layout in Casino Night Zone).
- The original ROM was leaked onto BBS before the final release by an unknown group.
- This ROM originated from a pirate cart that was sold in Hong Kong. The pirate cartridge was dumped with a Super Magic Drive and was possibly altered from the original ROM and released on Chinese ROM sites around 1997.
- The ROM was rediscovered by Simon Wai, and identified and distributed as a "beta ROM" of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
- Certain bytes within the ROM have been overwritten with data from another much earlier build of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. There are also some bytes that have been overwritten with an art compression output.
- Given that the earliest known prototype was built sometime before May 30th, 1992, and that the latest known build to follow this prototype was created on Sep 18, 1992, it's most likely given the completeness of this prototype that this version was built sometime between late June and early August.