|Mortal Kombat (Prototype B)
|File release date
||October 10, 2021
||MORTAL KOMBAT Please Return To Flying Edge Inc. ASAP. FLYING EDGE PROTOTYPE CARTRIDGE FOR EVALUATION PURPUSES ONLY
|| Sega Mega Drive
||EU Sep 13, 1993|
JP May 27, 1994
US Sep 13, 1993
A late prototype of Mortal Kombat for the Sega Mega Drive.
- Relatively late prototype.
- Cartridge label specifies that the cartridge must be returned to Flying Edge. Flying Edge was a division of Acclaim Entertainment that published games specifically for Sega's systems from 1992-1994, since Acclaim couldn't publish games for Sega's systems themselves due to contractual obligations to Nintendo. However, Arena Entertainment handled the publishing while Probe Software handled development on the port in the final game. Flying Edge was never given credit for any work on the final release of this port nor does any credit exist inside the prototype build itself.
- The ROM Header is from T2: The Arcade Game in this prototype. The only differences in this version of T2's header is that the month was changed from OCT to DEC, and a "-" was added between the product serial code and revision number.
- Symbols and various other garbage is used for padding in certain sections of the ROM. This was cleaned up for the final build.
- Goro's Lair uses a different palette and is missing a pillar in the background.
- The "Code" screen doesn't appear before the Midway Presents screen like in the final build.
- You can only have up to 5 credits in this prototype. This was changed so you can have 6 in the final build.
- The default difficulty in this prototype is Medium. The Easy setting is default in the final build.
- The screen advances to the game automatically when idling on the Battle Plan screen in the prototype. In the final, this freezes until you press a button.
- The "Finish Him" and "Fight" graphics utilize a sprite scaling effect that doesn't exist in the final Mega Drive version. However, this same effect was used in the Sega CD version.
- The "Finish Him" and "Fight" voice samples don't play.
- The "0" character has a line through it in this prototype, which was removed from the final. This was most likely done due to televisions at the time blurring the line with the rest of the character making it harder to decipher visually. The line was kept for the Master System/Game Gear and Game Boy ports, but not for the Sega CD port.
- The Cheat Menu cannot be enabled with the same button combination from the final.
- Missing credit for "Eric" on the Special Thanks part of the staff listing.
- On the "Code" screen, the word tournament is spelled wrong ("tournement").
- On the Battle Plan screen, Johnny Cage's name is spelled out in its entirety. In the final version, it just says "CAGE".
- "NOW ENTERING KOMBAT" is missing.
- High Score is present on the Cheat Menu in this prototype. This was removed from the final.
| Mortal Kombat (Prototype B).md
|| 2021-10-04 09:11:14
|| 2 MB
A huge thanks to David Sauer for being kind enough to dump and release this prototype!