Crash Bandicoot: Warped (Aug 26, 1998 prototype)
|Crash Bandicoot: Warped (Aug 26, 1998 prototype)|
|Download Crash Bandicoot: Warped (Aug 26, 1998 prototype) (info)|
A prototype of Crash Bandicoot: Warped for the PlayStation.
- This version requires a dongle, which in this case was a memory card that would contain a specific data to be read in order to boot the game. It was used to prevent disc content from being illegally copied or distributed - a dongle file has been provided within the dump file. In order to play the unmodded dump, insert the dongle into memory card slot 1.
- Alternatively, you can patch the disc image file using an xdelta patch created by SolidSnake11. Use DeltaPatcher to apply the patch.
- Starts with a screen warning the user that the disc is a "Beta Demonstration Disc".
- A cheat menu can be accessed by pressing Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Circle at the pause menu. You have access to five features, GET ALL, GET RELICS, OPEN LEVELS, ALLOW CAM, and NO CHEATS.
- The vortex cutscene area, intro cutscene and outro cutscenes are all missing.
- A music track not used in the final version of the game plays as the theme for the Warp Room.
- Most of the music tracks is incomplete, usually with different melodies or rhythm.
- The load/save screen doesn't have the load/save text imprinted on it, and has a much more basic design, with a blue border around it. Coco also stands in place on the right side of the screen.
- The characters have earlier, less detailed icons.
- Sapphire Relics are known as Bronze Relics instead. Logically, they are bronze-colored.
- Breaking a time crate won't freeze the timer, it will take away the amount of time from the box. They also won't subtract any time if destroyed by external factors like TNTs, Nitros or triceratops during chase sequences.
- Most of the relic requirements are different.
- N. Gin's mech textures are very incomplete in the phase two. Dying also wasn't programmed yet, as reaching 0% health won't kill the player.
- Winning the race in Rings of Power will provide the wrong gem (Future Frenzy's secret gem).
- Eggipus Rex is absent, and Hot Coco is present but inaccessible under normal means. The level was also originally called "Hidden Treasure". Re-adding the secret exit found in the August 15th Alpha at the end of the Yellow Gem path in Level 11, Dino Might! will make it accessible again, as using this specific portal unlocks Button 31.
- There is no credits screen, so after defeating Cortex the game will return straight to the Warp Room.
- Dump verified using DIC.
- Miscellaneous Notes:
- Game is emulatable: Yes (as of April 30, 2021).
- Game utilizes a dongle: Yes
A huge thank you to the whole Crash Landing team, and especially psx-collector for agreeing to include this build in the release, and to GDias in researching the build! Special thanks to superg for supplying the memory card files to by pass the dongle protection!