Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Prototype)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Prototype)|
|Download Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Prototype) (info)|
An early prototype of Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi for the SNES.
- The game boots right into gameplay with the game's logo. In the final, there's an actual title screen and opening sequence that loads up instead.
- The ROM does include a date of "AUG 10", however this might be a remnant of the previous Star Wars games.
- The game has a debugger activated.
- On the second controller, pressing L+R at the same time brings up the Cheat/Level select menu.
- Pressing one of the buttons on the second controller will auto complete the level. The game soft locks afterwards, however.
- The HUD is slightly different. The icons for some of the characters are different in comparison to the final.
- While there are a few music tracks, there are no sound effects.
- None of the levels in the game are completable.
- None of the cruiser or boss levels (save for the last fight with Darth Vader) have been implemented yet.
- The Game Over screen is not properly set yet, as it's possible to die over and over on the screen, which causes some graphical issues.
- Stage differences:
- The graphics used in the "Tower"/"Throne Room" stage is slightly different. Most of the objects that can be seen in the final game are completely missing with only a handful of Stormtroopers placed at the very beginning of the level. For some reason, this is the first stage the game loads when the game is turned on.
- "Tatooin" features a different background and a slightly different heatwave effect. The background repeats the part of the background that contains the building, where the final saves it for the end. The stage features an unused enemy that does nothing but hop up and down. The level also has a slightly different (object) layout.
- "Jabba's Palace" uses a different foreground graphic for the "darkness" in comparison to the final. The stage also contains many layout differences.
- "Jabba's Dance Hall" (known as "Dance Palace" in the prototype) is similar to the final but contains some minor differences. The background is almost finished but has the color blue in parts that haven't been filled in yet. Some parts of the stage are glitched and it's possible to fall through the floor. Reaching a certain point in the stage will heavily crash the game.
- "Rancor Pit" is missing the foreground layer for the "darkness", making the stage significantly brighter. The background hasn't been divided into its own layer yet. The level also contains some layout differences as well.
- "Attack on Sail Barge" (known as "Approach Sail Barge" in the prototype) messes up the HUD. The prototype's version of the level is actually an autoscroller, whereas it plays like a normal stage in the final. The stage appears to be missing most of its objects.
- "Inside Sail Barge" (known as "Inside Barge" in the prototype) seems to be using the tiles from the Throne Room level and the scrolling effect from the Attack on Sail Barge level. This stage has no objects.
- "Falcon Battle" is a test level that tests Mode 7 effects.
- "Ewok Village A" lacks any objects but seems to have a similar layout in comparison to the final. The stage lacks the animated flame tiles as seen the final.
- "Endor" features a similar stage layout to the final, but with a slightly different object layout.
- "Power Generator" has a similar stage layout to the final but lacks objects.
Special thanks to Radar for this release!