Tomb Raider (Jul 22, 1996 prototype)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Tomb Raider (Jul 22, 1996 prototype)|
|Download Tomb Raider (Jul 22, 1996 prototype) (info)|
|Download Tomb Raider (Jul 22, 1996 prototype) from external mirror|
A prototype of Tomb Raider for the Sega Saturn.
- This prototype was dumped before but was recently redumped with DiscImageCreator using Redump.org standards by ObscureGamers in 2021.
- GENERAL DIFFERENCES
- There is a "Press Start Button" screen prior to the title screen. This would be discarded after the Saturn version's release but before the other subsequent releases, hence its absence from those versions.
- The Press Start Button screen actually shows the final version of the title screen image. The actual title screen in this version though displays the game logo with the Atlantean Scion surrounded by green mist.
- The inventory font used is different, displaying words all in capitals.
- There is a Gamma option, represented by a torch.
- Sound is instead titled "DEMO PLAYBACK".
- The handheld console in the title screen is titled "RECORD DEMO".
- Loading screens display the same image as the title screen. Here, both Gym and City of Vilcabamba are referred to as "Level 2".
- The health bar colour is paler than the final. The bar itself is also found at the centre-top of the screen.
- Lara's footsteps have different SFX. These sounds would only be used in the FMV sequences in the retail game.
- Static objects have no collision which means that Lara can simply pass through them.
- There is a sound glitch when Lara replaces her pistols.
- Lara is able to draw her guns when picking up an item. When she rises she will behave as if they were not drawn.
- There are no savegame crystals in this build.
- The Atlantean doppelgänger is found inside this build but it is unfinished, not moving at exactly the same pace as Lara.
- Also found in the file is an unused boulder with textures not used in the final version. Even in a static state, the boulder can still kill Lara if she runs into it.
- Lara wears her usual tomb raiding attire here, complete with pistols. By default, the pistols have 5000 rounds of ammunition.
- Lara's vocal guidance through this level have not been implemented yet.
- The texture of the harp's strings have not been applied, leaving a blank white texture in its place.
- There is a static bear object in the gym area which was later removed but can still be found in the retail level's file.
- There is no trigger to end the level.
- CITY OF VILCABAMBA
- There are no doors behind Lara at the level's beginning.
- Magnum clips are found above the bear's dwelling in addition to the small medipack.
- The secret room opened by the underwater switch consists of two pairs of pistol clips, two boxes of shotgun shells and one pair of magnum clips.
- After exiting the underwater chamber and emerging into one of the houses, there is a large medipack and shotgun shells to be found.
- The silver key is missing from the level and the gold idol is found a floor above where it is located in the final build.
- Since the silver key is missing, Lara only needs to pull a switch to access the second portion of the level.
- After the door leading into the level's second part, there are no dart shooters. Pistol clips can be found on the ground here.
- There is no bat in the first pool room in which Lara has to ascend to the top to activate a switch. In that switch room, there are also pistol clips in addition to the small medipack.
- There is no bear in the final chamber but there is a wolf in one of the upstairs areas.
- The final secret consists of grenades, pistol clips and uzi clips.
- In the inventory the gold idol is referred to as "Level 2 Puzzle1".
- Like Gym, there is no trigger present to end the level.
- Miscellaneous Notes:
- Game is emulatable: Yes (as of April 17, 2021).
- A Special Thanks goes to the following people/groups,
- RacingFreak for helping manage the scans by clearing them up.
- ehw / HiddenPalace.org for double checking data.
- Merlin for donating a better Plextor than the one we had.
- All donators.