|Pinocchio 32x (Dec 6, 1995 prototype)
||Dec 6, 1995 15:09:00
||Anonymous (2000-2018), Radar (2018-present)
|| Sega 32X
A PAL prototype of the unreleased Pinocchio port for the Sega 32x.
- The build date is located in the ROM at offset 0x8C65A. This string is part of a cheat menu that cannot be accessed in the game, as there are no routines that call the code branch that loads the menu. The SH2 code for the cheat still exists so it is possible that it can be put back in.
- If the build date is accurate, this ROM predates the first retail release by a few months technically making this a prototype of the final game as well.
- Overall, the difference in graphics in comparison to the Mega Drive version varies in color palette and scrolling. The 32x version features more parallax scrolling in the backgrounds of most stages and a mostly more vibrant color palette. The tiles that make up the parallax'd backgrounds in this version are unique and aren't featured in any other version of the game. However, the color palette is very bright in comparison to the final Mega Drive version and looks somewhat more comparable to the SNES version. Other than this, the animation and sprite work is identical. This coincides with previews on the game's production that mention the 32x version.
- Unlike the final PAL version, the audio in this version plays back at the correct tempo. The audio plays at a slightly higher pitch in this version for some reason.
- The demos featured in the game are longer and play back differently than the final version's.
- There is no copyright information on the title screen.
- The Options menu doesn't silence the music.
- The default Joypad Buttons are different in comparison to the Mega Drive version.
- While the sound test is identical to the final Mega Drive version, the only noticeable difference is the fact that "Gideon" is spelled "Giddeon" throughout the list.
- The staff credits are slightly different. In this version, the programmers are credited to the version of the game that they were responsible for.
- In the main game, the HUD lies on top of a black bar which doesn't exist in any version of the final game.
- The game can sometimes soft lock when changing areas.
Watching the puppet show.
Special thanks to Radar for this release!