Spyro the Dragon (Jul 18, 1998 prototype)
(Redirected from Spyro the Dragon (Jul 19, 1998 prototype))Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Spyro the Dragon (Jul 18, 1998 prototype)|
|Download Spyro the Dragon (Jul 18, 1998 prototype) (info)|
An NTSC-U preview of Spyro the Dragon for the Sony PlayStation, dated less than a month before the final build.
The Cutting Room Floor research
- The game starts with a placeholder "Temporary Boot Menu".
- There are no intro or ending cutscenes.
- Many dragons are still missing the cutscenes and audio dialogue they'd use in the final game.
- A few of the dragon dialogue audio clips are missing their backing tracks.
- A number of dragons use different textures and colouring schemes to their final appearance.
- All dragons in the Beast Makers world are called "Silvus".
- Gnasty Gnorc's level and Gnasty's Loot are called "Gnasty Place" and "Gnasty Booty" respectively.
- Only a small number of music tracks are in this build, apparently unchanged since the June 15th prototype.
- Gem placement is still unfinished in some places.
- A glitch in the Artisans world sometimes makes it impossible to complete, as the gem count sometimes totals to a value less than 100.
- Specifically, a group of gems near Town Square's portal only count towards the gem total if Sparx picks them up, rather than Spyro.
- There's one extra gem in Lofty Castle for some reason.
- There's still a number of noticeable gaps between polygons in some of the level models at this point in development.
- This version of the game includes dongle protection to avoid it being used on hardware. An xdelta patch has always been provided alongside the prototype.
- Dumped twice with MPF and once with CloneCD, all dumps matched.
These codes can be used at any time during gameplay by holding down the buttons for a few seconds at the same time. Aside from the XA playback code, the successful entry of the other inputs are indicated by Spyro doing a light jump whilst in a frozen idle state.
|Level warp||L1 + L2 + R1 + R2||After confirmation, enter one of the button combinations from the list below.|
|Toggle active/passive camera||L2 + R1|
|Toggle invincibility & timer freeze||R1 + R2 + Circle|
|Toggle XA playback||Square + Triangle + Circle + X||First entry deactivates the music, re-entering the code plays the first track of the STR file in use. Pausing and unpausing the game reverts to the indented music.|
|Level warp codes|
|Artisans Home||X + Circle||Magic Crafters Home||Triangle + Circle||Dream Weavers Home||Down + Circle|
|Stone Hill||X + X||Alpine Ridge||Triangle + X||Dark Passage||Down + X|
|Dark Hollow||X + Square||High Caves||Triangle + Square||Lofty Castle||Down + Square|
|Town Square||X + Triangle||Wizard Peak||Triangle + Triangle||Haunted Towers||Down + Triangle|
|Toasty||X + Right||Blowhard||Triangle + Right||Jaqcues||Down + Right|
|Sunny Flight||X + Down||Crystal Flight||Triangle + Down||Icy Flight||Down + Down|
|Peace Keepers Home||Square + Circle||Beast Makers Home||Right + Circle||Gnorc Gnexus||Left + Circle|
|Dry Canyon||Square + X||Terrace Village||Right + X||Gnorc Cove||Left + X|
|Cliff Town||Square + Square||Misty Bog||Right + Square||Twilight Harbor||Left + Square|
|Ice Cavern||Square + Triangle||Tree Tops||Right + Triangle||Gnasty Place||Left + Triangle|
|Doctor Shemp||Square + Right||Metalhead||Right + Right||Gnasty Booty||Left + Right|
|Night Flight||Square + Down||Wild Flight||Right + Down||Skip to next level||Up|
|Spyro the Dragon (Jul 18, 1998 prototype).bin||File||2021-12-11 00:08:44||526.25 MB||0C0145B1523C5E3A7436A7AE4E78AD13D112C277|
|Spyro the Dragon (Jul 18, 1998 prototype).cue||File||2021-12-11 00:08:43||107 bytes||9E42CB83C41AF11DBD27AC00D22ECEC865206108|
|Spyro the Dragon (Jul 18, 1998 prototype).xdelta||File||2021-02-23 22:10:16||2 KB||95697904E7347BED1D7EF5130BD3D101051E944F|
A very HUGE special thanks to hwd45 and Gh0stBlade for making this release possible!