Spyro the Dragon (Jul 19, 1998 prototype)
|Spyro the Dragon (Jul 19, 1998 prototype)|
|Download Spyro the Dragon (Jul 19, 1998 prototype) (info)|
A prototype of Spyro the Dragon for the Sony PlayStation, dated less than a month before the final build.
- This version of the game includes dongle protection to avoid it being used on hardware. An xdelta patch has always been provided alongside the prototype.
- The game starts with a placeholder "Temporary Boot Menu".
- There are no intro or ending cutscenes.
- Many dragons are still missing the cutscenes and audio dialogue they'd use in the final game.
- A few of the dragon dialogue audio clips are missing their backing tracks.
- A number of dragons use different textures and colouring schemes to their final appearance.
- All dragons in the Beast Makers world are called "Silvus".
- Gnasty Gnorc's level and Gnasty's Loot are called "Gnasty Place" and "Gnasty Booty" respectively.
- Only a small number of music tracks are in this build, apparently unchanged since the June 15th prototype.
- Gem placement is still unfinished in some places.
- A glitch in the Artisans world sometimes makes it impossible to complete, as the gem count sometimes totals to a value less than 100.
- Specifically, a group of gems near Town Square's portal only count towards the gem total if Sparx picks them up, rather than Spyro.
- There's one extra gem in Lofty Castle for some reason.
- There's still a number of noticeable gaps between polygons in some of the level models at this point in development.
At any time during gameplay, hold down these button combinations until your entry is confirmed by Spyro jumping.
|Toggle active/passive camera||L2 + R1|
|Toggle invincibility & timer freeze||R1 + R2 + Circle|
|Toggle XA playback||Square, Triangle, Circle, X|
|Level Select||L1 + L2 + R1 + R2
(...then enter a combination from the list below)
|Artisans Home||X + Circle||Magic Crafters Home||Triangle + Circle||Dream Weavers Home||Down + Circle|
|Stone Hill||X + X||Alpine Ridge||Triangle + X||Dark Passage||Down + X|
|Dark Hollow||X + Square||High Caves||Triangle + Square||Lofty Castle||Down + Square|
|Town Square||X + Triangle||Wizard Peak||Triangle + Triangle||Haunted Towers||Down + Triangle|
|Toasty||X + Right||Blowhard||Triangle + Right||Jaqcues||Down + Right|
|Sunny Flight||X + Down||Crystal Flight||Triangle + Down||Icy Flight||Down + Down|
|Peace Keepers Home||Square + Circle||Beast Makers Home||Right + Circle||Gnorc Gnexus||Left + Circle|
|Dry Canyon||Square + X||Terrace Village||Right + X||Gnorc Cove||Left + X|
|Cliff Town||Square + Square||Misty Bog||Right + Square||Twilight Harbor||Left + Square|
|Ice Cavern||Square + Triangle||Tree Tops||Right + Triangle||Gnasty Place||Left + Triangle|
|Doctor Shemp||Square + Right||Metalhead||Right + Right||Gnasty Booty||Left + Right|
|Night Flight||Square + Down||Wild Flight||Right + Down||Skip to next level||Up|
Original / unpatched:
|Spyro.ccd||File||2016-06-28 15:50:41||773 bytes||dff59d2e7b177d8b7079f48f1b09f5392247d8d5|
|Spyro.cue||File||2016-06-28 15:50:41||69 bytes||689e4e11dc9223abda52788d92548386d6d67ae2|
|Spyro.img||File||2016-06-28 15:50:44||526.25 MB||0c0145b1523c5e3a7436a7ae4e78ad13d112c277|
|Spyro.sub||File||2016-06-28 15:50:44||21.48 MB||9ac3ebefadfb18da752c82a77c310cb8b7df9067|
A very HUGE special thanks to hwd45 and Gh0stBlade for making this release possible!