Spyro the Dragon (Jun 15, 1998 prototype)
|Spyro the Dragon (Jun 15, 1998 prototype)|
|Download Spyro the Dragon (Jun 15, 1998 prototype) (info)|
A prototype of Spyro the Dragon for the Sony PlayStation, dated around two months before the final build.
- There is no title screen or intro cutscene, nor is there any option to select a save file.
- Many gems and dragons have moved relative to their final positions.
- The only dragons to feature cutscenes are the dragons in the first three homeworlds, and all of these cutscenes feature unfinished dialogue and voice recordings.
- The rest of the dragons either only present text dialogue or show no dialogue prompt at all.
- Alpine Ridge, Twilight Harbor, Gnasty Gnorc and all Flight and Boss stages use early names, as does Gnasty's World.
- Wild Flight, Crystal Flight, Haunted Towers and Gnasty Gnorc all use placeholder textures, the latter level being in an incredibly early state.
- Gnorc Cove takes the role of the Gnorc Gnexus as the first level in Gnasty's World you encounter.
- Twilight Harbor has a very early object placement and is missing all its gems.
- All exit vortices use the dragon pad model in place of the vortex base. Most levels also include a gem floating in the vortex, too, something that is never seen in the final game.
- Both Gnorc Gnexus and Gnasty's Loot are missing from this version.
- There's a placeholder level name amongst the other Gnasty's World levels called "BUNCHACRAP".
- The fairies seen in the flight levels, High Caves and Haunted Towers use an earlier and much more cartoony design.
- Many enemies throughout the game were retextured in the final version.
- The Magic Crafters home features an extra room seen in some prerelease materials, but the room is empty.
- Blowhard features an introductory message warning the player about the boss and the boss fight itself features mechanics that weren't seen in the final release.
At any time during gameplay, hold down these button combinations until your entry is confirmed by Spyro jumping.
|Warp to next level||L1 + L2 + R1 + R2|
|Toggle active/passive camera||L2 + R1|
|Toggle XA playback||Square, Triangle, Circle, X|
|Toggle Sparx' pick-up ability||R1 + R2 + Circle|
(Note: The level warp cheat can softlock the game during the level transition if the game isn't paused before entry.)
|IMAGE.ccd||File||2020-02-22 15:40:56||773 bytes||ec767d7201e3937ae33dace9b444cee941c5924a|
|IMAGE.cue||File||2020-02-22 15:40:56||69 bytes||eccb47c328b5a69a8ab1bdbcdf280518916aa2f2|
|IMAGE.img||File||2020-02-22 15:41:00||425.4 MB||59aafe14648890f13bbc50122e41b05007f879cf|
|IMAGE.sub||File||2020-02-22 15:41:00||17.36 MB||91e438e14ed92eff1cf2a6007e8565ea0db689cc|
A very HUGE special thanks to hwd45 for making this release possible!