The Lion King (v.21 prototype)
From Hidden Palace
|The Lion King (v.21 prototype)|
|Download The Lion King (v.21 prototype) (info)|
A prototype of The Lion King for the Nintendo SNES.
- This prototype could not be dumped properly on the original SNES EPROM board with a Retrode, which is common for SNES prototypes such as this. An attempt was made to dump the prototype by placing the cart’s EPROMS in an empty MegaDrive EPROM board where a dump was successfully made with a Retrode using the MegaDrive slot. The ROM dump was then deinterweaved with a custom script and then manually pieced together to create the working ROM. There are currently no known errors with this dump.
- Level select can be activated by pressing LEFT + SELECT on the title screen.
- The version specified in the level select reads VERSION: .21. The final is VERSION: .99.
- Title screen differences
- Music starts on title screen instead of the Virgin logo.
- The title screen selector is a paw instead of a sun.
- The options menu has the message written in the sound test (no sound can be played):
- ROB IS A ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT AND KEVIN IS CHOOSING ROB’S SIDE WHICH MEANS NO MORE RIDES!
- The Pridelands - Level 1 differences
- Different object placement
- Blue bug enemy is brown in the prototype.
- Can’t Wait to be King - Level 2 differences
- A few of the pink monkeys near the end of the level do not work properly.
- There are no indicators during the ostrich riding segments.
- The Elephant Graveyard - Level 3 differences
- The hyenas toward the end of the level keep spawning.
- The Stampede - Level 4 differences
- Starts and auto completes in two seconds.
- Simba’s Exile - Level 5 differences
- Small differences in the level layout.
- The hyenas will laugh throw boulders at you during certain parts of the stage. This mechanic was removed from the final game.
- The level is called “Exile” instead of “Simba’s Exile”.
- The hyena sprites at the end of the level are glitched.
- The hyena’s say “We’ll kill ya” instead of “If you ever come back, we’ll kill ya”.
- Hakuna Matata - Level 6 differences
- The level is called “Willow Cascade” instead of “Hakuna Matata”.
- After you climb the waterfall there aren’t a lot of kill bugs when you walk left.
- Simba’s Destiny - Level 7 differences
- Adult Simba’s life and roar energy bars are red.
- The panthers never spawn in this level.
- There is no boulder chase in this level.
- The breakable barriers are buggy.
- The boulder sound can loop indefinitely.
- Mufasa at the end of the stage is colored differently and lacks a sound sample for his dialog.
- Be Prepared - Level 8 differences
- No music plays in this stage.
- However, if you die in this stage, the music from The Pridelands will play instead.
- There are very little objects in this stage.
- The lava geysers have glitchy sprites.
- There is no boss at the end of the stage, you simply exit the level at the end.
- Simba’s Return - Level 9 differences
- The level is called “Hyena Lairs” instead of “Simba’s Return”.
- Contains almost no hyenas save for two near the end of the level.
- Pride Rock - Level 10 differences
- The level is called “Scar” instead of “Pride Rock”.
- The level doesn’t use the proper music for this stage.
- The stage lacks any objects, including Scar.
- The stage does not end and therefore cannot be completed.
- Miscellaneous differences
- The continue screen crashes.
- The Timone Bonus Stages are unfinished and use placeholder tiles for most of them.
- The bug catching bonus stages are named “Kaboom” in the sound test.
- Obtaining/dumping/freely releasing the prototype: Billscat-socks.
- Help with dumping the prototype: