Rayman 3 (Prototype A)
|Rayman 3 (Prototype A)|
|Download Rayman 3 (Prototype A) (info)|
A prototype of Rayman 3 for the Nintendo Game Boy Advance.
(Write up by RayCarrot. Taken from the original Gaming Alexandria article.)
- Pressing START during the opening of the game skips the logo entirely.
- Credits have a black background and the text transitions differently than the retail version.
- Some cutscenes scroll horizontally rather than being static images.
- Cutscene vignettes have black borders and sometimes use different shots than the final version.
- Some text isn’t yet translated into English (such as Murfy’s text when entering the hub for the first time). Unsurprisingly this shows the game was first developed in French.
- The text that is translated differs here and there, though we haven’t documented all the changes.
- Levels use names from Rayman 2, giving a solid connection in inspiration from that game rather than Rayman 3.
- Worlds don’t have names on world map.
- Pressing A on inactive curtains does nothing (no sound or animation).
- Murfy whispers like in Rayman 2.
- When continuing from a game over there’s no sound.
- A different sound plays when exiting a level from the entrance.
- Usually no sounds in dialogue.
- Various enemy sound effects differ.
- The color palette becomes broken when when you pause in the hub.
- Skipping a cutscene keeps playing the audio from it or restarts the cutscene entirely.
- Some in-level dialogue has broken formatting.
- The barrel in the first Ly power-up stage doesn’t move, causing Rayman’s auto-movements not to sync up correctly.
- Curtains are not red before unlocked if it’s the next level and you exit a stage from the entrance before finishing it.
- Pausing sometimes breaks HUD visually.
- Curtains in the second Hub are sometimes broken.
- The game will crash if pause on world map or if you attempt to enter the GameCube bonus world.
- Bad collision in Hub 4, sometimes you fall through the floor.
- The “3 2 1” doesn’t always show up in a 3D race level.
- The player can’t super charge fist while helicoptering * therefore the 1000th Lum Challenge is not possible.
- If you get a game over and continue during final boss phase 2 the game softlocks, not allowing you to progress.
- Some of the spiky balls in Razor Slide (The Pirate Ship) glitch out, go beyond their movement area, and then become invisible
- On the world select screen, while the first world selected you can press left and Rayman will be caught in an animation loop trying to walk to a world that doesn’t exist until the game crashes.
- Cage break animations take longer then the final version.
- Pirates don’t have invisible walls of collision, so you can skip them.
- Rayman doesn’t jump on the “Continue” text when you continue from a game over.
- Rayman’s body doesn’t turn yellow when Ly gives you a new power.
- You don’t keep your Lums and cages on a game over, even if you continue.
- In Vertigo Wastes (The Echoeing Caves) phase 1 the entrance is reachable from the starting position.
- Vertigo Wastes phase 1 also has the switches being yellow when activated instead of green.
- In Void of Bones (Cave Of Bad Dreams) the floating skulls in the background are visible before they should be, and aren’t as translucent.
- The things you punch to go up in the Ly bonus levels look different.
- Slight level changes in Wicked Flow (Sanctuary Rock And Lava) * missing lava pools when black Lums come towards you after first checkpoint and the spiky balls are in different places in phase 2.
- No Murfy stone in River of Fire (Sanctuary Stone And Fire) to teach you about plums.
- River of Fire (Sanctuary Stone And Fire) 2 & 3 are almost entirely different * a lot easier with fewer jumps between plums.
- Creeping Chaos (Tomb Of The Ancient) has a very slight change in spiky objects at the very end of second phase.
- Some platforms in Razor Slide (The Pirate Ship) are placed incorrectly.
- Mega Havoc 3 (Bonus #3) has many minor differences both visually and gameplay wise.
- Final boss has health indicators on the bottom and only 3 hit points for first phase instead of 5.
- Wicked Flow (Sanctuary Rock And Lava) is swapped with River of Fire (Sanctuary Stone And Fire).
- L on Title Screen: Level select
- L + Select: Finish stage
- R + Select: Invincible (lasts until game reset)
MURFY HELP POP-UPS (appears after dying, maybe more in other levels?):
- Swamp of Bégoniax (Marsh Awakening) * Murfy says to use B to avoid sand banks (despite * A being the jump button).
- Garish Gears (Boss Machine) * Murfy teaches you how to carry a barrel.
LEVELS (final name in brackets) :
- The Wood Light (Wanderwood Forest)
- Fairy Glade (Shining Glade)
- Marsh Awakening (Swamp of Bégoniax)
- Boss Machine (Garish Gears)
- Sanctuary Of The Big Trees (Hoodlum Hideout)
- Missile Sur Pattes (Magma Mayhem)
- The Echoeing Caves (Vertigo Wastes)
- Cave Of Bad Dreams (Void of Bones)
- Boss Bad Dream (Jano’s Nest)
- The Menhirs Hills (Prickly Passage)
- Marsh Of Awakening (Swamp of Bégoniax 2)
- Sanctuary Rock And Lava (Wicked Flow)
- Beneath Sanctuary (The Underlands)
- The Precipice (Boulder Brink)
- Boss : Rock And Lava (Den of Rocky)
- The Canopy (Wretched Ruins)
- Sanctuary Stone And Fire (River of Fire)
- Tomb Of The Ancient (Creeping Chaos)
- Boss : Clark (Scaleman’s Keep)
- The Iron Mountains (The Mettleworks)
- Missile sur pattes (Magma Mayhem 2)
- The Pirate Ship (Razor Slide)
- Boss Final (Heart of the Ancients)
- Bonus #1 (Mega Havoc 1)
- Bonus #2 (Mega Havoc 2)
- Bonus #3 (Mega Havoc 3)
- Bonus #4 (Mega Havoc 4)
- Challenge Ly #1 (Ly’s Punch Challenge 1)
- Challenge Ly #2 (Ly’s Punch Challenge 2)
- 1000e Lums (Lum Challenge)
Thanks go out to TamB for dumping the cartridge and RayCarrot for playing through the prototype and documenting all the differences to be found.